“Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these”
So, you are interested in getting into the great hobby of gardening. Gardening is one of the best therapeutic hobbies out there. It not only is an inexpensive way to supply vegetables and spices to your family, it is also one of the most relaxing hobbies to get into. There is nothing better than creating plants from a seed, nurturing it, feeding it and finally being able to enjoy the finished product. In order to get into the great hobby of vegetable gardening, you are going to need some guidance. That is where we come in. Please sit back and enjoy our post on the best books on gardening for beginners.
Table of Contents
Best Books on Gardening for Beginners Comparison Chart
Here is a great comparison chart for the best books on gardening for beginners. These are the top rated books for beginning gardeners on the market today.
|Beginner's Illustrated Guide to Gardening||192||Kindle and Paperback||Katie Elzer-Peters||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|Vegetable Gardening For Dummies||392||Kindle and Paperback||Charlie Nardozzi||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|The Vegetable Gardener's Bible, 2nd Edition||352||Kindle, Hardcover and Paperback||Edward C. Smith||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|Rodale's Basic Organic Gardening: A Beginner's Guide to Starting a Healthy Garden||338||Kindle and Paperback||Deborah L. Martin||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|Rosemary Gladstar's Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner's Guide: 33 Healing Herbs to Know, Grow, and Use||225||Kindle and Paperback||Rosemary Gladstar||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|Beginner's Garden||160||Paperback||Alex Mitchell||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|Gardening: Organic Vegetable Gardening Made Easy||82||Audiobook, Hardcover and Paperback||Ace McCloud||VIEW ON AMAZON|
Best Books on Gardening for Beginners-Children Too-What to Look For
When you are looking to buy a book on gardening, there is a few things you need to look for. Especially if it is for a child or someone who is totally new to gardening. Here are some things to look for when purchasing the best books on gardening for beginners:
- Easy to Read-the most important thing to look for when purchasing the best books on gardening for beginners is to make sure it is easy to read. If your child or children are showing interest in gardening and you want them to read about it, make sure the book is easy to read. Otherwise, they could lose interest very fast. Also, if you are looking to get a Christmas gift for a senior citizen, a easy to read book on gardening is perfect!!!
- Easy to Understand-along with a book being easy to read, it also needs to be easy to understand. If you are looking to purchase the best books on gardening for beginners or children, you can’t have a book that has large words or situations that a beginner or a child won’t understand. They will lose interest in gardening very fast if they are confused about what they are reading.
- Price-obviously you want a book that beginners will understand, but won’t break the bank. Make sure the best books on gardening for beginners has a reasonable price tag on it.
- Illustrations-sometimes people, especially children, need pictures of what a book is trying to tell them. A book on gardening with lots of pictures and diagrams works perfect for beginners.
- Lots of color-to really get a beginner interested in gardening, you really need to show them great pictures of the finished product. Make sure the pictures and diagrams have great color to really illustrate how beautiful gardening can be!!!
- Good author-make sure the author of the best books on gardening for beginners is well experienced gardener themselves. You want to teach beginners or children the correct way the first time around.
- Font size-this is something that people don’t always think about. If you are getting a book on gardening for a senior citizen, you may need to make sure that the font size is bigger than normal. I have seen books with very small font size that I had to get a magnifying glass out to read. Not something you want to do to a beginner.
- Hands on-also, make sure that the book has little projects for the reader to do. And make sure that the projects put the reader in a situation to succeed. This also keeps them very interested.
So, without further ado, here are our picks for the best books on gardening for beginners:
A great beginners book to gardening by Katie Elzer-Peters. Here is what we really like about the book:
- Great for beginners
- Covers gardening and landscaping
- Step by step instructions
- Explains tools and fertilizers
- Explains how much sun and water is needed
- Perfect Christmas gift
- Actionable steps with great pictures and illustrations
Another great book by the popular “For Dummies” collection. This book is another great book for beginning gardening. Here are some of the things we really love about this book:
- Popular theme
- Great for beginners
- Perfect gag or Christmas gift
- Great for children
- Easy to understand
- Gives great tips
The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible, 2nd Edition-Our Top Pick!!
One of the top books for beginning gardeners. Here is what we really loved about this book!!
- Very experienced author
- Covers a lot of information
- Great for beginners and advanced gardeners
- Great layout and pictures
- Very well written and easy to understand
- Covers vegetables and herbs
- Covers composting
- May be a little advanced for children
Well, those are our top 3 picks for the best books on gardening for beginners. If you don’t like one of these 3, please go the the comparison chart above!! Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment!!