If you are mowing your lawn, you need to make sure you are protecting your hearing. Today, I am going to review the best hearing protection for lawn mowing. Since people prefer one or the other, I will review the best ear muffs for lawn mowing and the best ear plugs for lawn mowing. After losing partial hearing in my left ear, this is a very important review for me to do. I want to make sure that I can help people keep their hearing for as long as they can. I am sure my no care attitude about my hearing in my younger days was the reason for my hearing loss. So do me a favor and make sure that you use proper hearing protection when mowing your lawn or other loud indoor/outdoor jobs.Click Here To Check Out Our Top Pick for The Best Hearing Protection for Lawn Mowing
Table of Contents
The Best Hearing Protection for Lawn Mowing-What To Look For
There are certain things that you need to look for when purchasing hearing protection for lawn mowing. In my last article about the best radio headphones for lawn mowing, I only talked about radio headphones. Today, I am only going to review hearing protection that just protects your hearing, but doesn’t play music. Some people don’t want to listen to music while mowing their lawn or have a job that doesn’t let you listen to music. So here are some very important things to look for when you are looking to buy the best hearing protection for lawn mowing:
- Hearing protection-obviously the most important feature is how much noise the ear muffs or ear plugs eliminate. You don’t want to buy some hearing protectors that just look cool, but don’t eliminate the noise. That is not going to do you much good as far as protecting your hearing.
- Comfort-if your hearing protectors are not comfortable, you either are not going to wear them or you are going to be uncomfortable while you are mowing your lawn. Either one is not good.
- Adjustable-not every person has the same size head. Your hearing protectors need to be adjustable so it fits snug.
Ear Plugs vs. Ear Muffs
Because some people like ear plugs when mowing their lawn and some people like ear muffs when mowing their lawn, I am going to review both. So what is the basic difference between the two?
- Ear plugs-are smaller devices that are meant to be inserted into the ear canal to protect the ears from a variety of things like noise, dust, wind and water. They can be made of foam or silicone and do a very good job of protecting a person’s hearing.
- Ear muffs-fit over the ears to protect them. The ear muffs have a metal or plastic head band that fits over the top of the head or the back of the head. The ear pieces are covered with cushion and fit over the ears.
Both have their advantages and disadvantages. In fact, some people where both at the same time when they are doing a job that is very, very loud. I have used both and find that the ear plugs, when inserted properly, block the noise a little better, but are not as comfortable and don’t protect your entire ear of flying debris. Also, the ear muffs can get very hot if you are mowing your lawn in the middle of the day. Because they both are fairly inexpensive, you can try both out and see which one is better for you.
Here is a nice video about Hearing Loss Myths and Facts:[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTFPh-COLFk]
Best Ear Muffs for Lawn Mowing
If you are a person that prefers ear muffs to ear plugs keep reading. Of all the hearing protection that is on the market, I feel that the Professional Safety Ear Muffs by Decibel Defense is by far the best ear muffs for lawn mowing. Here are some of the features that I really, really like about them.
- Maximum Hearing Protection-these are so good that they are used in Nascar, rock and roll bands, shooting ranges and sporting events. They reduce more sound than any other ear muff on the market today.
- Come in different colors
- Sturdy construction
- Adjustable for larger heads
- Great for sleeping
Here is a nice video on the Professional Safety Ear Muffs by Decibel Defense[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3fj2pIo3SU]
If you are not a fan of the Professional Safety Ear Muffs by Decibel Defense, click HERE to see a nice list of other ear muffs for lawn mowing.
Best Ear Plugs for Lawn Mowing
Now, if you are a person who prefers ear plugs to ear muffs, keep reading. After trying many different kinds and brands of ear plugs, I really, really like the Howard Leight by Honeywell Laser Lite High Visibility Disposable Foam Earplugs. Here are the features I really like about these ear plugs:
- The foam expands to fit any size ear canal
- Easy to grab and insert into your ear
- Comes in 5, 10, 25, 100 or 200 pair packs
- Can be used in different industries including sleeping!!!
Well, there you have it. I hope that I have helped you in some way with your purchasing decision. Please make sure you use hearing protection in whatever you do. Like I said above, I suffer from hearing loss and tinnitus and really hope I can help prevent you in suffering from this. Please feel free to leave a comment and thank you very much for stopping by.