Do you have a small backyard patio or are you moving to a house, condo or apartment with a small backyard patio? Keep reading as we give you 61 small backyard patio design ideas. Having a small patio can be harder to decorate than having a big patio. Finding patio furniture and decor can be more difficult than finding a lot of patio furniture and patio decor. You want to make your patio looking nice, while keeping it cozy. Whether you are working on a budget or looking for luxury furniture and decor, we will supply you with ideas to help you with your purchasing decision. So, here are our 61 small backyard patio ideas. We hope you like them!!
Looking for fire pit, but don’t want to break the bank? Please keep reading and check out our 60 cheap metal fire pit ideas!! You may have seen fire pits on the internet or in your neighborhood and thought, man, would I love one of those. Well, now you can and we will give you some great fire pit ideas. Here are some ideas on where to get a fire pit or how to make your own cheap metal fire pit:
Table of Contents
Tire Rim Fire Pits
This idea is ingenious!!! I wish I would have thought of this one. You take a tire rim (preferably from a tractor) and either bury it, partially bury it or lay it on top of your lawn and use that as your fire pit. If the tire rim is big enough, it also acts as a foot rest. But don’t get your feet too close!! You will see some examples of tire rim fire pits in the pictures below.
Now, you may be asking yourself, where in the heck can I find a tire rim?? Well, there are a bunch of places that you can look. Here are some places to look for a tire rim:
- Your local paper/shopper
- Ask farmers
- Junk yard
- Auto repair garage
Washing Machine Drum Fire Pit
Another great way to make your own cheap metal fire pit is to use an old washing machine drum. You take an old washing machine drum and either bury it or get creative and solder legs onto it and use it as a portable metal fire pit. Another great, cheap way to own your own fire pit.
Rummage or Moving Sales
If you are Ok with using a used metal fire pit, you can always get one at a yard sale. Sometimes people down size and may move into an upstairs apartment or condo and can’t use their fire pit anymore. This is a great way to get a fire pit dirt cheap!! Check out your local papers for rummage sales and see if anyone is selling a fire pit near you.
Order a Fire Pit on Amazon
If you want your own, brand new metal fire pit, one of the best places to get one is Amazon. It has a wide variety of choices and free shipping on a lot of their fire pits. If you want to see a list of cheap metal fire pits, CLICK HERE
As you can see, you can get a really nice portable metal fire pit for under $100. It is probably your best option if you want to get a new fire pit.
60 Cheap Metal Fire Pit Ideas
Well, now that we have given you some options on either buying a new or used fire pit, or make your own fire pit, here are 60 cheap metal fire pit ideas!!
One of the best ways to spruce up your back yard is to add a stone fire pit. Nothing is more relaxing after a long day at work than to come home and sit by a nice fire with your favorite beverage. Invite family and friends over for a great time sitting by a roaring, cracking fire. Ease your mind watching the dancing flames doing their thing. Whether you want to purchase a stone fire pit, hire someone to build it, or build it yourself, stone fire pits will definitely enhance the look of your house and yard. So sit back and check out our stone fire pit ideas/outdoor fire pit designs
Table of Contents
Wood vs. Gas Stone Fire Pits
Basically, there are 2 kinds of stone fire pits, gas burning or wood burning. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. While a lot of people prefer the crackling sound of wood burning stone fire pits, others prefer the gas stone fire pits. The smoke from the wood burning fire pits bother some people’s allergies and asthma. Also, you need to keep firewood on hand for wood burning fire pits. However, wood burning stone fire pits are cheaper than the gas fire pits. Here are a couple of other tips to help you in your purchasing decision:
- Never use a wood burning fire pit on air quality alert days
- If conditions have been very dry for a long period of time, don’t burn wood. Especially on windy days
- Don’t burn garbage in your fire pit. This could cause toxic fumes.
So whether you enjoy a warm, crackling wood fire on cooler nights, or a colorful gas burning fire pit on summer nights, either one is a great option for you!!
Placement of Your Fire Pit
There are a couple of great places to put your stone fire pit. First, you need to really put some thought into this. A stone fire pit is not the easiest thing to move around if you change your mind!! Here are some ideas on where to put your stone fire pit ideas.
- Patio-this is a great way to make your patio shine. Make sure it is far enough away from your house. Windy, dry days can wreak havoc on the outside of your house!!
- Deck-again make sure your fire pit is far enough away from the house and also make sure you seal the fire pit from the wood of the deck.
- Backyard-another great spot for your stone fire pit is in your backyard. Like I said above, make sure you think about where in your backyard is best for your fire pit. Make sure you are far enough away from your house and your neighbors house!!
- Campsite-if you have a campsite that you own or rent, you could have a stone fire pit there. Every campsite needs a roaring fire, right?? If you are thinking about putting a stone fire pit at your campsite, I would recommend a wood burning stone fire pit.
Cost of Your Stone Fire Pit
Before you plan on getting a stone fire it, you need to sit down and decide how much you want to spend. Although a nice, expensive gas stone fire pit will increase the value of your home, you still don’t want to make sure you can afford one. If you check out the pictures below, you can see that there are some very expensive stone fire pits and then there are some less expensive ones. Your outdoor fire pit designs should not break the bank.
One way to help with the cost is to build a stone fire pit yourself. Some of the stone fire pits below can easily be built by anyone, where some of the others will probably need some help. Also, the stones cost money and some stones are a lot more expensive than other stones. Please do your research before you make your decision.
Pictures of Outdoor Stone Fire Pits
Now that we have given you some great information on what kind, where and how much you want to spend on your stone fire pit, here are a lot of great stone fire pit ideas:
Well, there you have it. We hope that you have enjoyed our stone fire pit ideas and outdoor fire pit designs!!
Today, we are going to go over how to clean dog poop from grass the proper way. There is nothing worse than someone walking their dog, their dog poops on the grass, and they just keep walking without cleaning it up. That is really a pet peeve of mine. Well, for those people who are new to walking their dog or are new to having a dog as a pet, here are 3 proper ways to clean up dog poop from grass.
1-Put Dog Poop in Bags
After your dog has pooped:
- Take a plastic bag
- Put your hand inside the plastic bag
- Pick up the poop with your hand inside the plastic bag
- While holding the poop with your hand, pull the sides of the bag around the poop.
- Tie bag up and dispose of it in garbage can
2-Use Pooper Scooper
After your dog has pooped or unfortunately if another dog has pooped in your yard:
There are 2 main kinds of pooper scoopers on the market. One that has a small rake to flick the dog poop into the pet poop tray and one that scoops around the dog poop and picks it up (Jaw or claw scoop). I will show both ways.
Pooper Scooper with Small Rake
- If available, put plastic bag inside pet poop tray
- Put the pet poop tray behind the dog poop
- While standing behind the pet poop tray, use the rake to scoop/flick the dog poop into the pet poop tray. Make sure that you don’t flick too hard and get the dog poop on your shoes. If you are a hard flicker, you may want to stand off to the side.
- Take plastic bag off of the pet poop tray, tie up the bag, and dispose of it in the garbage can
- Clean your rake and tray after each use.
Jaw or Claw Scooper
- Stand off to the side of the dog poop
- Open the scooper-some scoopers have different ways of opening the jaw/claw, so make sure you read your directions.
- Put open jaw/claw so dog poop is in between each jaw/claw
- Push down a little so you can get under the dog poop.
- Close the jaw/claw so the dog poop ends up in the closed jaw/claw.
- Dispose dog poop in the plastic bag, tie the bag and put bag in garbage.
- Clean jaw/claw scooper after each use.
3- Use a Shovel
This is the old fashioned way of cleaning up dog poop. This is the way I had to do it 40 years ago. Use this method if you don’t have access to the other 2 methods above. A small hand shovel works very well, but if you don’t have one, you may have to use a regular sized spade shovel.
- Either stand behind or to the side of the dog poop
- Scoop under the dog poop to get all of it
- Put dog poop in a plastic bag.
- Tie plastic bag
- Dispose plastic bag into garbage.
- Clean shovel after each use.
Well, there you have it. We hope that you have enjoyed and learned a little something today. Thanks again for stopping by and checking out our article on how to clean up dog poop from grass. Please feel free to leave a comment!!
If you are looking for the best pop up canopy for your backyard, patio or deck, please keep reading. Now that you have gotten your yard into tip top shape, it is time to start thinking about parties, family gatherings or just relaxing. In the summer months when the sun is beating down or in the spring and fall months when it is raining (or snowing), you may need some sort of shelter. That is where the pop up canopy comes into play. Please keep reading as we review and talk about the best pop up canopy for your backyard, patio or deck.
Table of Contents
Best Uses for a Pop Up Canopy
As a proud owner of a pop up canopy, I know that they can be very useful in many ways. Here is a list of some of the best uses for a pop up canopy. If I have missed one, please feel free to put them in the comments section below!! Here are the uses:
- Athletic events-as a father of 2 athletic sons who played a lot of sports, having a pop up canopy was very valuable. Whether they played in the hot sun or in the pouring rain, our pop up canopy was protecting us from the elements. It made watching the games much more enjoyable.
- Camping-if you enjoy camping, you are going to want to get a pop up canopy. If it is raining, the last thing you want to do is be cooped up in your tent or camper. If you had a pop up canopy, you could sit under it and enjoy a cup of coffee or your favorite beverage. It also is a great for shade when you have had too much sun.
- Flea markets, art and craft shows or fairs-whenever I volunteer at our local fair, I really, really appreciate it when there is a pop up canopy to sit under. As a person with lighter skin, I need to stay out of the sun as much as I can.
- Outdoor parties or gatherings-if you are lucky enough to have a big backyard, you may be asked or volunteer to use your yard for a family gathering or party. With the weather always being unpredictable, you will want to own one or a couple of pop up canopies. They will keep your party goers dry or out of the sun. Also, if your yard is full of birds, the pop up canopy will protect you, your party goers, and family members from bird droppings!!! Nothing worse than getting bird droppings on your nice clothes!!
- Beach or Lake-as the summer months move in, it will get hotter and hotter. People will be flocking to beaches and lakes for a way to keep cool. A pop up canopy is a great way to keep your personal belongings or yourself out of the sun or rain. Light skinned people like me can only be in the sun for a short period of time. A pop up canopy will protect you from the sun and keep your skin from being burned. It is also a great way to keep younger kids out of the sun.
- Weddings-outdoor weddings are becoming more popular. People are finding that having an outdoor wedding is a cheaper and easier way to get married. The only unpredictable thing about outdoor weddings is the weather. Having a couple pop up canopies on hand will at least keep the bride and groom dry and hopefully the rest of the crowd. If you are having an outdoor wedding, make sure you have a couple of pop up canopies on hand in case the weather turns on you!!
Best Pop Up Canopy for Backyard, Patio or Deck-What to Look For
Now that we have gone over some of the great, valuable and healthy uses of pop up canopies, we are going to go over some features and things to look for when looking to purchase a pop up canopy. Here are some features to look for when purchasing a pop up canopy:
- Price-this feature is a little tricky. You don’t want to spend an arm and a leg on a pop up canopy, but you also don’t want to buy the cheapest one and have it rip or break right away!! My one word of advice is that you can get a decent pop up canopy for under $200 or even under $150. All of the pop up canopies that I will review in this article will be under $200.
- Wheels-this is a really important feature that gets overlooked. Make sure that your pop up canopy has wheels on the bottom of the storage bag. You will thank me if you are going to your kid’s sporting event and you have to park a mile away and have to lug the pop up canopy all the way!! It makes transporting your pop up canopy much easier.
- Ease of use-as the years have gone by, pop up canopies are getting more popular and much easier to set up. The first one I purchased many years ago was a real pain to set up. Now, they are getting easier and easier. With that said, do your research, read your reviews and make sure you get one that is easier to set up and tear down. Especially if you get caught in a thunderstorm!!
- Stability-this feature can be very important or not so important. If you are going to use your pop up canopy out of the wind, you don’t need to worry about extra weight or tie downs. If you are going to use it where there is a chance of a sudden wind, extra weight or tie downs are very important. A couple of years ago I saw a pop up canopy tumbling down a beach after a sudden wind got a hold of it.
Best Pop Up Canopy for Backyard, Patio or Deck-Our Reviews
Now that we have gone over important uses of a pop up canopy and features to look for when purchasing a pop up canopy, we are going to review our top picks. There are plenty of canopies and gazebos that are more expensive, but they are mostly used for more of a permanent use. We are just going to review portable pop up canopies that can be transported frequently and set up and torn down quickly. Here are our reviews:
Our top pick for the best pop up canopy for backyard, patio or deck is the Eurmax 10’x10′ Ez Pop Up Canopy Tent. This one covers all of the bases the we have listed above. Located in California, Eurmax has been making great canopies and tents for over 15 years. Here are some of the features that we love about the Eurmax 10’x10′ Ez Pop Up Canopy Tent:
- Comes in many great school or team colors
- Respectable price
- Great company
- Includes wheeled carry bag
- Strong design and rust resistant
- 3 height positions
- Easy to put up and take down
- Waterproof tent
- Works in all weather
- Heavy duty
Some things we didn’t like:
- Heavier than most canopies
Here is a great video showing how to set up the Eurmax 10×10 Instant Pop Up Canopy
ABC Canopy comes in next with the ABC Canopy Pop Up Canopy Tent. This pop up canopy was really close to being our top pick. It is also a great pop up canopy for you. Here are some of the great features that we loved about the ABC Canopy Pop up Canopy Tent:
- Great price
- Great colors for all teams and occasions
- Includes wheeled carry bag
- Heavy duty fabric
- 1 year warranty
- Has banner loops if you need to add a banner
What we didn’t like:
- Seems heavier to transport
The cheapest pop up canopy (but not by much) on our list is the Core 10′ x 10′ Instant Shelter Pop Up Canopy Tent. Located in Kansas, the Core Equipment company makes great products at affordable prices. Here are some of the features that we loved about the Core 10′ x 10′ Instant Shelter Pop Up Canopy Tent:
- Lower price than other 2
- Great company
- Includes wheeled carry bag
- Has canopy vents for air circulation
- Heavy duty canvas
- Ground stakes and tie downs included
What we didn’t like:
- Only 2 colors
Well, there you have it. We hope that we have helped you in your research on the best pop up canopy for backyard, patio or deck. Please feel free to leave a comment!!!
If you are having problems with dogs (and other animals) coming into your yard uninvited, then keep reading my choice for the best dog repellent for lawns. This repellent is a great way on how to keep a dog from pooping in your yard! ! Just to make sure you know this before reading, I am a dog owner and I love dogs. None of the repellents in this article are used to harm or even kill a dog. That is not my intention. My intention is to keep stray or unwanted dogs or other animals out of my yard. If you can’t afford or don’t want a fence in your yard, this repellent is the way to go.
Table of Contents
- 1 Reasons To Keep Dogs (and Other Animals) Out of Your Yard
- 2 Best Dog Repellent for Lawns-What To Look For
- 3 Best Dog Repellent for Lawns/How To Keep a Dog From Pooping in Your Yard-Our Top Pick!!
- 4 Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer Motion-Activated Sprinkler
- 5 Best Dog Repellent for Lawns-Other Options
- 6 Best Ultrasonic Dog Repeller
- 7 Fencing
- 8 Best Dog Repellent Spray
- 9 Best Dog Repellent Granules
- 10 Homemade Dog Repellents
Reasons To Keep Dogs (and Other Animals) Out of Your Yard
Like I said above, I love dogs and I even own one. But I clean up after my dog. Unfortunately, some people will walk their dog, let them poop on other people’s yard and not clean it up. Or they will let their pet run free and their pet will poop in your yard. Nothing worse than cleaning up someone else’s dog poop!!! Here are the main reasons to keep dogs and other animals out of your yard:
- Uninvited dogs and other animals/pets urinating in your yard
- Animals digging up your yard
- Animals eating your plants
- Other animals messing with your pet
- Potential injury from holes in your yard
- Keeps animals from nesting in your yard
Best Dog Repellent for Lawns-What To Look For
Before you go out and spend your hard earned money on dog repellents, here are some things that you need to look for.
- Price-make sure you are not spending an arm and a leg on your dog repellent
- Effectiveness-read reviews and make sure that the dog repellent you are getting is effective.
- Safety-like I said above, none of the repellents in this article will intentionally harm an animal
- Ease of use-a good dog repellent should also be easy for anyone to use.
Best Dog Repellent for Lawns/How To Keep a Dog From Pooping in Your Yard-Our Top Pick!!
If have basically tried them all. Dog repellent sprays. Dog repellent granules. Home Remedies. Even electric devices. They will work for some of the dogs, and not work for others. It is very frustrating when you think you found a good dog repellent and all of a sudden you see a dog or other animal in your yard!! Of all the dog repellents that I have tried, here is my top pick!!!!
The Orbit Yard Enforcer Motion Activated Sprinkler is my top pick for the best dog repellent for lawns/how to keep a dog from pooping in your yard. This one works the best out of all of the repellents that I have tried. Here are some of the great reasons/features why the Orbit Yard Enforcer Motion Activated Sprinkler is my top pick:
- Very humane repellent-it just uses water to repel dogs and other animals
- Only sprinkler repellent that has day, night or 24 hour option setting
- With sprays and granules, you need to keep purchasing after rain. The Orbit Yard Enforcer, you only need to purchase once!
- Sprays up to 70 feet in diameter
- It senses the difference between trees and animals
- Works on other animals and people too!!
- Doubles as a yard sprinkler
Here are things I didn’t like:
- Water my hit things or people that you don’t mean to hit like the mail man, UPS or Fed Ex man!!
- People that come over to visit may not know you have this!!
Here is a great video by Orbit showing the features and a demo of the Yard Enforcer!!!
So, if you are looking for the best dog repellent for yards or how to keep a dog from pooping in your yard, check out the Orbit Yard Enforcer Motion Activated Sprinkler!! It is the best dog repellent on the market today!!!
Best Dog Repellent for Lawns-Other Options
If you are not interested in the Orbit Yard Enforcer Motion Activated Sprinkler as a dog or other animal repellent, there are other, not as effective options for keeping animals out of your yard. Here are some of the other options.
Best Ultrasonic Dog Repeller
If I had to pick my second choice as the best dog repellent for lawns, it would be an ultrasonic dog repeller. You don’t need to keep reapplying after rainfall. It repels other animals. The ultrasonic repeller is a great way to keep other dogs from pooping in your yard. It is a very safe repellent as it doesn’t use any chemicals that could harm the animals or your plants/grass. It is very easy to install and it is waterproof. If you are looking for the best ultrasonic dog repeller, our top pick is the Pet Caree Ultrasonic Dog Repellent.
Probably the most effective way to keep unwanted animals out of your yard is to get a fence. This is the most expensive dog repellent out there. Depending on the size of your yard, you could be spending a lot of money to keep animals out of your yard. Also, fences are an eye sore. If you are proud of your beautiful lawn and want to enjoy it, the last thing you want is a fence to look at everyday. Fences don’t always keep all animals out of your yard. I have seen numerous animals climb a fence and get into yards. They also can become trapped in your yard and now you have a bigger problem!!!
Best Dog Repellent Spray
It would be great if there was a spray out there that you could just spray around your yard and be able to deter all animals!! Unfortunately, there isn’t. Sprays don’t work with all animals. While you may be able to keep some species of animals out of your yard, it will not keep other species out of your yard. Also, sprays get washed away after rain and you need to keep reapplying. Some dog repellents smell very bad. The smell is very powerful and overwhelming sometimes. Some of the sprays can be harmful to plants and grass, so make sure you do your research. If you are set on getting a dog repellent spray, here is our top pick for the best dog repellent spray–Bodhi Dog Bitter Lemon Spray
Best Dog Repellent Granules
Another dog repellent that works sometimes are dog repellent granules. You just sprinkle the granules around the outside of your yard or garden, and it is supposed to keep dogs and other animals out of that area. Like I said above, it works for some animals, but not for others. Like sprays, it will wash away after rainfall and you need to keep reapplying. If you have a bunch of days in a row that it rains, you will be reapplying a lot!! If you are set on finding the best dog repellent granules, our top pick is the Havahart Critter Ridder Granule Shaker
Homemade Dog Repellents
If you search the internet, you will find tons and tons of different homemade recipes for dog repellents. Some work, some don’t. If you want to go out and try all of the homemade dog repellents out there, be my guest. Some will hurt plants. Other ingredients will hurt your grass. Some will smell, some don’t. I have not found a good homemade dog repellent that works effectively, so I won’t give you my opinion.
Well, there you have it. I hope I have helped you in some way. Thanks for stopping by and check out my article on the best dog repellent for lawns/how to keep dogs from pooping in your yard. Please feel free to leave a comment!!