This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Looking for the best axe for chopping wood? You have come to the right place. Today, I am going to go over the top rated axes for chopping wood on the market today. There are many different reasons that will need to cut wood and if you don’t have a chainsaw handy, you are going to need an axe. Here are some of those reasons that you will need to cut wood:
- Tree falls in your yard
- Need firewood for outdoor fire pit
- Need firewood for inside fireplace
- Cutting branches that are over hanging
- Cutting a tree down in your yard that you don’t want
Best Axe for Chopping Wood–What to Look For
If you are looking to purchase the best axe for chopping wood, there are certain features that you need to look for. Making sure that you check these features out will make your purchase that much easier. Here are some of the features to look for before purchasing your axe:
- Length of the axe-if you are a beginner, you may want to get a shorter axe. The longer the axe, the harder it is to control. However, if you are a taller person, you may want to get a longer handled axe.
- Price-obviously this is a no brainer. You want an axe that will do the job, but not have to break the bank for your axe.
- Company-make sure you get an axe from a reliable company. Usually, the bigger the company, the better the customer service department is if you have a problem.
- Reviews-I will give you my review of each axe, but you may want to read other reviews before buying.
- Weight of the axe-again, make sure you pick a weight that you can handle. If the weight is too heavy, you won’t be able to swing the axe and if the weight is too light, you will swing the axe too easy and not control it.
- Warranty-check out the warranty of each axe before you purchase. It could be the deciding factor!!
Best Axe for Chopping and Splitting Wood Comparison Table
Here is a great comparison table for the best axe for chopping and splitting wood.
|Image||Best Axe for Chopping Wood||Handle||Length in inches||Rating out of 5||Preview on Amazon|
|Fiskars x27 Super Splitting Axe 36 Inch, 378841-1002||FiberComp||17, 23.5, 28, 36||4.7||Preview on Amazon|
|Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul 36 Inch, 751110-1001||IsoCore||36||4.7||Preview on Amazon|
|Estwing Special Edition Camper's Axe - 26" Wood Splitting Tool||Steel||26||4.5||Preview on Amazon|
|Husqvarna 26" Wooden Multi-Purpose Axe||Wood||13. 19, 23, 26, 27, 30, 32||4.5||Preview on Amazon|
|1844 Helko Werk Germany Classic Forester - 3.5 lb Felling Axe||Wood||31||4.6||Preview on Amazon|
|Helko Werk Vario 2000 Heavy Log Splitter||Wood||36||4.6||Preview on Amazon|
|Gerber 36-Inch Power Splitting Axe [31-003636]||Composite||9, 14, 17.5, 23.5, 36||4.6||Preview on Amazon|
Best Axe for Chopping and Splitting Wood-Our Reviews
Now that we have given you some features to check out before you purchase your axe, we will now go over our reviews. We will only review the top rated axes on the market today. You probably will be able to find a cheaper axe out there but remember, you get what you pay for. Here are the reviews:
Fiskars X27 Splitting Axe, 36-Inch–Our Top Pick
The top selling axe for chopping and splitting wood, is also our top pick. Since 1649 (no, this is not a misprint) Fiskars has been making top quality products. Some of the features that we love about the Fiskars X27 Splitting Axe are:
- Great company
- Comes in different handle lengths
- Designed to give you more one hit splits
- 5.85 lbs
- Fibercomp handle
- Blade coating goes through wood and doesn’t get stuck
- Almost unbreakable
- Hole in end of handle makes it easy to hang
- Lifetime warranty
What we didn’t like:
- Some people prefer a wood handle
Here is a great video on Fiskars:
Click Here To View the Fiskars X27 Super Splitting Axe on Amazon
Located in Rockford, Illinois, Estwing has been making American made products since 1923. Some of the great features we love about the Estwing Special Edition Camper’s Axe are:
- American made
- Shock reduction grip
- Very versatile
- Steel construction
- Leather handled grip
- Hand sharpened and hand polished
- Comes with heavy duty sheath for protection
- Well balanced
What we didn’t like:
- Only comes in 2 sizes
Our next axe on our list of the best axe for chopping and splitting wood is the Husqvarna 26″ Wooden Multi-Purpose Axe. Located in Sweden, Husqvarna has been pumping out great products since 1689. Some of the great features that we love about the Husqvarna 26″ Wooden Multi-Purpose Axe are:
- Wood handle
- Multi purpose
- Comes in many different lengths
- Comes with leather cover
- Available with longer handles
Things we didn’t like:
- Need to keep sharpening
Gerber 36-Inch Power Splitting Axe [31-003636]
The Gerber 36 inch Power Splitting Axe comes in next on our list. Based in Portland, Oregon, Gerber has been providing great products since 1939. Some of the great features that we love about the Gerber 36 inch Power Splitting Axe are:
- PTFE coated blade
- Composite handle reduces hand strain
- Great company
- Comes in different lengths
- Available in 36 inch handle for advanced wood cutters
- Stainless steel blade
What we didn’t like
- Only comes with plastic cover
Well, there you have it. Hopefully we have helped you with your purchasing decision. Thanks again for stopping by and checking out our article on the best axe for chopping and splitting wood. Please feel free to leave a comment!!!