Do mosquito foggers work? Well, it’s getting that time of the year for outdoor graduation parties, weddings, birthday parties, and family reunions. Also, people go on picnics and camping trips. Their irritating bites can ruin everything. If they are not killed outside, they can venture inside and bite people while they sleep. And their high pitch buzz can keep you awake all night. Although there are a lot of home remedies that are supposed to keep mosquitoes away, today I am going to show you how to fog your yard for mosquitoes and answer the question, do mosquito foggers work?
Do Mosquito Foggers Work?
Yes, they work. They are one of the best ways to keep your yard, picnic area and camping ground mosquito free. The fog they produce kills mosquitoes and saves your outdoor events. Because mosquitoes breed on or near standing water, it’s best to start fogging in those areas. Not only are mosquitoes a big nuisance, they also can be potentially dangerous. With over 3000 species, they carry many diseases such as malaria that kill millions of people each year. So that is where foggers come in. They eliminate mosquitoes for up to 6 hours and help make your outdoor event mosquito free.
How To Fog Your Lawn
Now, to eliminate mosquitoes for up to 6 hours, you need to fog your lawn correctly. Here are the basic steps in fogging your lawn with a propane fogger:
- First, purchase a propane fogger that can do the job. You want one that is easy to use and effective on mosquitoes. Unfortunately, the insecticide and propane cylinder are sold separately so you also need to purchase those too. Please read the manual so you are using compatible products.
- Next, I would purchase a respirator mask and gloves to protect you from the insecticide in the fog. Although it is supposed to be harmless, it could cause an allergic reaction.
- Now, you need to prepare your fogger for use by locking the trigger, filling the container with a compatible insecticide and inserting the propane cylinder. Your manual will show you how easy this is to do.
- Next, you need to light the fogger. First, you need to open the propane valve and either use an auto lighter or light the under the mesh burner cover.
- After the fogger is lit, you need to let the fogger preheat for at least 2 minutes. If you don’t let the fogger preheat, you will not get an effective mosquito killing fog.
- Before you start to fog you need to release the trigger and make sure that the wind is at your back when you fog.
- Now, pump the trigger every 3-4 seconds to release the fog. If the trigger is dripping insecticide, you are pumping too fast.
- At dusk, spray the fog around bushes, high grass and dense foliage. It is best to fog toward the bottom of these areas and let the fog rise through them. Also, don’t forget to fog around areas of moisture and standing water like ditches and gutters. When done correctly, you can eliminate mosquitoes from your outdoor event for up to 6 hours.
Although the instructions on how to fog are pretty straight forward, there are some do’s and don’ts when fogging. Here are some tips that will help you have a safe, fogging experience:
- Do not fog near an open flame!!
- Never fog near food, children or pets
- Store the fogger in cool, well ventilated place
- Never fog in high winds or bad weather
- Don’t ever fog indoors
- Never leave fogger unattended
Now that I have told you how to fog your lawn and eliminate mosquitoes, you can see that mosquito foggers do work and they work very well. So if you are in the planning stages of an outdoor event that has the possibility of being invaded by mosquitoes, don’t forget the mosquito fogger!