This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
One of the best ways to spruce up your back yard is to add a stone fire pit. Nothing is more relaxing after a long day at work than to come home and sit by a nice fire with your favorite beverage. Invite family and friends over for a great time sitting by a roaring, cracking fire. Ease your mind watching the dancing flames doing their thing. Whether you want to purchase a stone fire pit, hire someone to build it, or build it yourself, stone fire pits will definitely enhance the look of your house and yard. So sit back and check out our stone fire pit ideas/outdoor fire pit designs
Table of Contents
Wood vs. Gas Stone Fire Pits
Basically, there are 2 kinds of stone fire pits, gas burning or wood burning. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. While a lot of people prefer the crackling sound of wood burning stone fire pits, others prefer the gas stone fire pits. The smoke from the wood burning fire pits bother some people’s allergies and asthma. Also, you need to keep firewood on hand for wood burning fire pits. However, wood burning stone fire pits are cheaper than the gas fire pits. Here are a couple of other tips to help you in your purchasing decision:
- Never use a wood burning fire pit on air quality alert days
- If conditions have been very dry for a long period of time, don’t burn wood. Especially on windy days
- Don’t burn garbage in your fire pit. This could cause toxic fumes.
So whether you enjoy a warm, crackling wood fire on cooler nights, or a colorful gas burning fire pit on summer nights, either one is a great option for you!!
Placement of Your Fire Pit
There are a couple of great places to put your stone fire pit. First, you need to really put some thought into this. A stone fire pit is not the easiest thing to move around if you change your mind!! Here are some ideas on where to put your stone fire pit ideas.
- Patio-this is a great way to make your patio shine. Make sure it is far enough away from your house. Windy, dry days can wreak havoc on the outside of your house!!
- Deck-again make sure your fire pit is far enough away from the house and also make sure you seal the fire pit from the wood of the deck.
- Backyard-another great spot for your stone fire pit is in your backyard. Like I said above, make sure you think about where in your backyard is best for your fire pit. Make sure you are far enough away from your house and your neighbors house!!
- Campsite-if you have a campsite that you own or rent, you could have a stone fire pit there. Every campsite needs a roaring fire, right?? If you are thinking about putting a stone fire pit at your campsite, I would recommend a wood burning stone fire pit.
Cost of Your Stone Fire Pit
Before you plan on getting a stone fire it, you need to sit down and decide how much you want to spend. Although a nice, expensive gas stone fire pit will increase the value of your home, you still don’t want to make sure you can afford one. If you check out the pictures below, you can see that there are some very expensive stone fire pits and then there are some less expensive ones. Your outdoor fire pit designs should not break the bank.
One way to help with the cost is to build a stone fire pit yourself. Some of the stone fire pits below can easily be built by anyone, where some of the others will probably need some help. Also, the stones cost money and some stones are a lot more expensive than other stones. Please do your research before you make your decision.
Pictures of Outdoor Stone Fire Pits
Now that we have given you some great information on what kind, where and how much you want to spend on your stone fire pit, here are a lot of great stone fire pit ideas:
Well, there you have it. We hope that you have enjoyed our stone fire pit ideas and outdoor fire pit designs!!